Passwords: they can be tough at the very best of times. Right password cleanliness is 1 of the most significant aspects in endpoint security, as it keeps delicate information safe and prevents danger actors from receiving into vital systems.
But despite the pitfalls, the use of weak or recycled passwords continues to be a dilemma even among IT professionals. When methods this kind of as two factor authentication have been made use of as an extra layer of security, groups like the FIDO Alliance and World Broad Web Consortium have been performing to make passwords a issue of the previous, in favour of additional safe techniques.
This week, we spoke to Richard Meeus, EMEA director of security & technology approach for Akamai Technologies, to check out the remedies driving protected indication ons, and how the sector can adapt to this adjust.
“The criminals know that we are lousy with passwords, and we just use one thing like our pet’s title or some thing like that. And it really is fairly simple for persons to get the passwords or, as most generally occurs, an organisation will be breached and their password and username databases will be leaked out on to the internet. And then, individuals usernames and passwords are reused in opposition to websites all in excess of the earth.”
“The strategy of security authentication has always been primarily based close to, type of, one of a few ideas. So there is some thing you know, which is a password, one thing you are, which is your biometric. So use your encounter print or your thumbprint, or a little something like that. Or something you have, which could be a USB token, or one thing that you can punch quantities into as a handheld device. So one of those a few issues, and we’ve relied upon the anything you know, predominantly, which is the password.”
“Anything that we can do within just security that actually can make life less difficult for stop consumers, and tends to make them more protected, is a good issue. And minimizing passwords, lessening the use of passwords is a great matter, since nobody likes them.”
Study the whole transcript in this article.
- Disclosed: The top rated 200 most widespread passwords of 2022
- If not passwords then what?
- What are biometrics?
- What is two-factor authentication?
- What is multi-factor authentication (MFA) tiredness and how do you protect against attacks?
- How to put into action passwordless authentication
- Finest password administrators
- Greatest cost-free password supervisors
- The quicker the FIDO Alliance can shut down passwords, the improved
- Will FIDO passwordless authentication preserve cyber security?
- The top rated 12 password-cracking strategies used by hackers
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro publication
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Some pieces of this article are sourced from: