The technological arsenal offered to cyber criminals is by now ample to give any security expert nightmares, but there is yet another rising danger on the horizon that may possibly preserve them up at night time: bio-augmented hackers. Implantable chips and other modifications are rising in ability and sophistication, and there are a wide variety of innovative techniques that attackers can use them to carry out both equally physical and device-primarily based attacks –
This is produced all the additional concerning by the fact that these implants are all but unachievable to detect. This week, we’re joined by CyberArk technological evangelist, white hat hacker and self-described transhumanist Len Noe to find out what type of augmentations cyber criminals at the moment have entry to, how can they be utilised in intrusions, and why the sector requirements to start out preparing for their implementation now – as perfectly as some of the favourable uses that this technology can be put to.
“Would you like me to inform you how I get by an airport? I set the remaining foot in entrance of the appropriate and then I repeat. Which is it… There is not sufficient put together metal in all of my implants to actually cause a magnetometer… even if I am doing the X-ray steel detector, [it] will not present up, I can walk straight through, the magnetometer will not bring about.”
“I know that I’m applying it. I know of pretty a few people who are on crimson groups that are employing this technology. We have not uncovered any indications from any sort of incidents that have in fact occurred in the wild wherever implants have been demonstrated to be the root trigger, but at the exact time, how would you be capable to ascertain that – and therein lies the trouble.”
“From… an precise implementation standpoint, there is currently no way to in fact detect an augmented human with this variety of technology inside the physique. And that will become a really massive difficulty for security experts. And the only way that I can truly give as a way to test and combat this is a legitimate defence in depth, and a layered security strategy.”
Browse the comprehensive transcript listed here.
- The IT Pro Podcast: The mystery existence of hackers
- Tales from the entrance line: The techniques of the Red Staff revealed
- Trade Unions Congress fearful of implanting staff with tracking chips
- Should really staff members be microchipped?
- What is Neuralink?
- ARM fights paralysis with brain implant chips
- What is penetration tests?
- Should really human augmentation technology be controlled?
- IT Pro 20/20: The long run of augmentation
- The IT Pro Podcast: Can technology make us far more than human?
- The IT Pro Podcast: Should really companies spy on their personnel?
- BSidesSF 2022 – Biohacker: The Invisible Danger (Len Noe) – YouTube
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Subscribe to The IT Pro Podcast on Spotify
- Subscribe to the IT Pro e-newsletter
- Subscribe to IT Pro 20/20
Some areas of this short article are sourced from: